This is one question i keep getting asked about or debated, what is Alexa Rank? And how will it effect me?
First of all Alexa is one of the largest web ranking Search Engines on the Internet. How they rank websites is by an Alexa score related to hits to your website. However not just hits, hits that get there by people that use there toolbars or widgets.
The reason a lower number is better in Alexa is because it is seen like a race. To see an example of Alexa Rank and traffic details from Alexa click here.
“The main concept of Alexa in a nutshell is as your Alexa Rank lowers, your traffic level goes up…”
What is the importance of Alexa Rank?
The main importance is rank in the Alexa Search Engine, a lower Alexa Score generally equals better position. Another important option is Advertising on your blog or website. Even though you may be receiving a lot of non toolbar customers or readers to your website, a lower Alexa score in general is seen as a higher link worth on your website to any advertiser.
“A lower Alexa Rank score can mean higher visits to your website and therefore higher earnings…”
How do i get started with Alexa?
Well if you go to alexa.com and install there toolbar or if you own a website then you can install a widget on your website. These two options are the biggest influence on Alexa Ranking.
Can one lower there own Alexa Rank?
Yes you can by using a few techniques listed below to lower your Alexa Rank. While Alexa rank should never be seen as essential it is always good to have a all round good score for there own Search Engine Ranking.
Tips to improve Alexa Ranking –
- Install the Alexa toolbar or Firefox’s SearchStatus extension and set your blog or website as your homepage.
- Put an Alexa rank widget on your website. According to some, each click counts as a visit even if the toolbar is not used by the visitor.
- Become part of webmaster forums and put your url in comments. Webmasters usually have the toolbar installed. You’ll get webmasters to visit your website and offer useful feedback. It’s also a good way to give back to the community if you have useful articles to share with others.
- Write quality content that is related to webmasters.
- Get Dugg or Stumbled for good posts or pages.
- Use Pay Per Click Campaigns such as Bidvertiser. Buying PPCs advertisements on search engines such as Yahoo , Bidvertiser or Google will help bring in Traffic.
- Advertise banners and links for traffic from webmaster forums and websites.
- Contributing to the Buyers Web Blog and other blogs out there…
As you can see from the list above it’s all really techniques for generating more traffic. I have always found it an interesting concept rewarding a website just for there traffic level…There are more techniques to lower Alexa Rank than the ones above but after sifting through millions of options in webmaster forums, etc these ones seemed to be the prominent ways to help your score.
Note: the best way overall way to lower your Alexa score naturally is to build traffic to your website naturally. An Example of this is by creating quality content and good websites for visitors.